Hiring Department: Environmental Health & Safety
Lead UMKC’s biological safety program through strong, collaborative interactions with Principal Investigators, postdocs, laboratory staff, and students.
Serve as a voting member of the UMKC Institutional Biosafety Committee and review individual research protocols.
Ensure institutional compliance with applicable regulations, guidelines, and policies.
Develop and implement evidence-based policies and best practices to improve safety and prevent injuries and illnesses.
Inspect laboratories and other locations where biological hazards may be present. Identify, document, and communicate deficiencies and provide assistance for correction.
Conduct post-incident investigations, formulate appropriate corrective actions, and assist in their successful implementation.
Promote teamwork within the Department of Environmental Health and Safety and assist in other program areas as needed.
- A Bachelor’s degree in related/relevant area
- At least 3 years of experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be acquired is necessary
- Master’s Degree in Biosafety/Biosecurity, Microbiology, or Biological Sciences
- Hands-on laboratory experience with recombinant DNA (rDNA)
- Registered Biosafety Professional (RBP) or the ability to achieve eligibility within 2 years of date of hire
- Eligibility to sit for the Certified Biosafety Professional (CBSP) examination or the ability to achieve eligibility within 2 years of date of hire
Full Time/Part Time
Fully-benefit-eligible, 40 hours per week (1.0 FTE), staff position.
$47,476 to $65,468 per year. Salary will be commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity.
Open until filled, review of applications to begin immediately.
Please visit our website for position descriptions, minimum qualifications, and info on how to apply.