Position Description Harvesters – The Community Food Network
JOB TITLE: Communications Manager – Multi-Media Exempt-Full time
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
JOB SUMMARY: Manager responsible for planning, goal setting, strategy development, design and
execution of marketing and communication materials to meet organizational goals
and Harvesters’ broad communications strategies. Position requires highly creative
individual who can take conceptual ideas and create visual representations, both in
print and electronic media, to advance Harvesters’ mission while maintaining
brand standards. Final deliverables should increase public awareness and inspire
others to donate, volunteer or give voice to hunger.
1. Manage major elements of Harvesters’ communications plan, focusing on graphic design (print and
electronic) and current and emerging social media.
2. Gather written or spoken ideas/requests from others and create marketing and communication materials
(flyers, posters, logos, interior and exterior signage) that connect with the targeted audience in the
medium that will reach them best.
3. Maintain integrity of Harvesters’ brand standards, including identity, typography and color pallet, while
extending brand across a broad range of design solutions.
4. Oversee the production of Harvesters’ print collateral, including posters, brochures, flyers, postcards
and others, including obtaining bids, preparing files for production, managing timeline and interacting
with outside vendors.
5. Create digital elements that can be used in videos, electronic signage, web banner ads, email blasts and
web infographics that inform and compel the public to act.
6. Assist with maintenance and monitoring of Harvesters’ websites to ensure accuracy and
consistency with brand identity and current organizational messages.
7. Monitor trends in emerging social media applications and tools, and apply knowledge to
increase the use of social media at Harvesters.
8. Organize and maintain Harvesters’ graphic and photography files.
9. In cooperation with the Communications Director, plan and manage budget in areas of responsibility
to ensure responsible control over resource utilization.
10. Perform other duties as required.
OTHER ASPECTS OF THE JOB:
1. Ability to express ideas and thoughts clearly, orally and in writing for both electronic and print media.
2. Can balance individual and team responsibilities to achieve joint objectives and ensure that social and
electronic media is consistent with and enhances other areas of communications.
3. Able to provide superior customer service and work collaboratively with internal and external clients.
4. Exhibit a commitment to Harvesters’ mission, goals and values.
5. Take initiative to exceed expected goals, and use resourcefulness and creativity in developing work
6. Demonstrates a commitment to excellent in the thoroughness and factual accuracy of communications
and a commitment to completing projects on deadline.
7. Extreme flexibility and ability to work on multiple projects at one time and under tight deadlines.
8. This position requires an understanding of all Harvesters’ food safety policies and compliance with all
food safety related procedures.
1. Required Experience
• 3 to 5 years professional experience in graphic design creating print and digital marketing and
communication materials, with strong portfolio of work.
• Experience using Adobe Creative Suite, including Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
• Demonstrated social media marketing and interaction experience.
• Knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, typography, print, and the web
• Experience in print production and working with outside vendors.
• Demonstrated writing skills for print and electronic media.
• Willingness to be trained in web content management systems and e-blast software.
• Excellent eye for detail.
2. Preferred Experience
• Experience using WordPress and content management systems.
• Knowledge of HTML.
• Experience using Luminate by Blackbaud or similar e-blast communication system.
• Skill with digital photography and videography and familiarity with editing software.
3. Required Education
• Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, marketing, communications, public relations, interactive
media design or related field.
Apply Here: www.harvesters.org/job