This outstanding opportunity is available due to the pending transition of the highly respected incumbent. The organization is uniquely positioned for growth, development and significant community impact. The Board of Directors is seeking a full-time Executive Director to manage and expand operations and funding.
Youth Ambassadors has served the families of the Greater Kansas City Metropolitan area since 2010 with workforce development and social programs. At present, it continues the mission through an intensive virtual program, focusing on 21st Century Life and Job Skills, Creative Writing, Health, Art and mental health support services for children from ages 14 to 18. In ten years, this strengths-based program has managed to increase academic and social outcomes for youth in this community significantly. Youth Ambassadors employs 1 full-time staff and 22 part-time teaching staff. It also serves as a placement site for UMKC’s School of Social Work. The organization is committed to social justice, equity, diversity, belonging, and inclusion.
Responsibilities Reporting to a committed Board of Directors, the Executive Director will:
- • Provide leadership and direction for all strategic and operational planning, programs, facilities management and fund development initiatives to support the continued growth of the organization.
- • Ensure fiscal responsibility, including accurate reporting, compliance, budget management, and the cultivation and stewardship of a diverse blend of federal, state, local, and private funds.
- • Maintain programmatic excellence, ongoing program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, policies, communications, operations, and systems.
- • Serve as spokesperson for the organization; actively engage and energize the staff, volunteers, board members, funders, stakeholders, and community groups around the organization’s mission.
- • Recruit, hire and supervise staff; maintain a working environment that fosters teamwork and creativity.
- • Supervise master’s level social work practicum students
- • Demonstrated success in a leadership role within an organization of comparable size, scope, and complexity. Both nonprofit and corporate executives will be considered.
- • Knowledge of the needs and strengths of youth age 14-18 and families living in under-resourced and under-invested communities.
- • Commitment to social-emotional education and performance to foster youth development.
- • Proven fiscal management experience to achieve strategic organizational and programmatic goals.
- • Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams and to work closely with a Board of Directors.
- • Strong relationship management skills required.
- • Fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders highly preferred. Knowledge of the Kansas City community required.
- • Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed leadership style.
- • Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred. Bilingual in Spanish/English a plus
- • Cultivate and maintain effective relationships with diverse supporters and partners, including individuals, corporations, foundations, other nonprofit organizations, government agencies and local and regional educational institutions.
- • Responsible for fundraising and seeking philanthropic support ensuing that donors experience a high-quality relationship with the organization.
- • Achieve annual fundraising performance goals based on organizational need determined by the Board of Directors.
- • Drive sustainable growth and revenue while remaining fiscally responsible, with a strong focus on donor relations.
- • Market and elevate Youth Ambassadors mission, presence and brand locally and regionally.
- • Proven ability to work cooperatively, diplomatically, and effectively with Boards, staff, volunteers, and in community relations and outreach capacities.
- • Working knowledge of spreadsheet, database, email, calendar/scheduling, and word processing software.
- • Occasional physical labor is required to set up for and carry out programs.
You’re a good fit if…
- • You have a strong interest in and can rally support for local youth development agency.
- • You have at least five to 10 years of executive management experience in community engagement and/or nonprofits.
- • You have a proven track record of diversifying and increasing revenues.
- • You have experience in P&L management and setting and delivering budgets.
- • You prioritize building an equitable and inclusive organizational culture.
- • You are the kind of leader who brings teams together, fosters a healthy work environment and motivates people to go the extra mile.
- • You would thrive in an environment where you are expected to think outside the box.
Required application documents
- • Resume
- • Cover Letter – Please carefully read the following instructions for requirements for the cover letter:
Applicant cover letters should not exceed two pages in total length, and must include a brief discussion of the following three topic areas:
- • Why are you interested in this position?
- • How do your skills align with the job description?
- • How do you define diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging?
Prospective candidates can apply for this position by emailing their cover letter and resume to email@example.com ATTN: Executive Director Position.
- • Virtual interview process
- • Personal protective equipment provided or required
- • Shared office – Desks spaced 6ft apart
- • Temperature screening
- • Social distancing guidelines in place
- • Virtual meetings
- • Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
Type: Full Time
Hours: Monday-Friday, 40 hours a week. Some weeknights and Saturdays required.
Salary Range: $55,000 – 75,000
Available Benefits: Paid Time Off; Federal holidays, a birthday holiday, the last week of the year and two weeks’ vacation/sick leave.
Location: Midtown Kansas City 59th & Michigan
We are committed to building an inclusive organization that represents the people and communities we serve. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, veterans, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Youth Ambassadors is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks diversity in candidates for employment. EEO Employer W/M/Vet/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity