Maintain and install campus landscapes and grounds. Work differs from similar classifications in that a higher degree of knowledge in grounds keeping and landscaping methods must be applied to primary assignments. Review is accomplished through observation of results with particular emphasis on accuracy, efficiency, appearance and conformance with instructions. Functional contacts include co-workers, other service department employees and other University staff and students.
- Plant, transplant and cultivate trees, shrubs and flowers; determine water requirements of plants and turf, irrigate as necessary.
- Prune trees, shrubs and flowers according to standard horticultural practices as necessary to maintain good plant health.
- Identify weeds, insects and diseases; mix and apply pesticides safely, according to label instructions and as directed. Apply fertilizers and calibrate application equipment.
- Build stone or tie walls and plant beds; repair landscape irrigation systems.
- Perform general grounds maintenance duties: remove leaves, mow grass, aerate turf, weed beds, sow grass seed and lay sod. Perform hand grading, excavating and shovel work. Remove snow from streets and sidewalks. Will be on call for snow removal.
- May operate tractors, trucks, lawn mowers, chain saws and miscellaneous equipment. Perform maintenance on grounds keeping equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A high school diploma or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired is necessary.
- Two years of experience in grounds maintenance, landscape construction, or related area is necessary.
- Knowledge of tools, methods and materials used in grounds maintenance and landscape construction.
- Ability on a daily basis to:
- Grasp, lift, carry and set down heavy objects (50-75 lbs.)
- Shovel snow, climb ladders and operate heavy power equipment
- A valid Missouri driver’s license is required.
- Missouri Certified Public Operators Pesticide License or the ability to obtain within six months after employment is required.
Full Time/Part Time
Full time, benefits eligible.
Commensurate with education and experience.
Monday through Friday, 6:30 am to 3:00 pm
Open until filled.
Please visit our website for position descriptions, minimum qualifications, and info on how to apply.