Company: Community Housing of Wyandotte County (CHWC)
Location: Kansas City, KS
CHWC is a comprehensive community development organization whose mission is to stabilize, revitalize, and reinvest in Kansas City, Kansas through improved housing and related quality of life initiatives. We build and renovate beautiful, efficient, durable, healthy homes; promote sustainable homeownership through one-on-one coaching, classes, and financial assistance; and engage and strengthen neighborhoods through arts, green initiatives, and youth enterprise development.
CHWC’s commitment to build inclusion, equity, and justice into our work
The heart of CHWC’s mission is to work beside our neighbors to build stronger, better neighborhoods in Kansas City, Kansas where people of all skin colors, ages, and incomes are proud to live. Far too many of our neighbors have been denied the rights and benefits that strong neighbors enjoy. CHWC stands with our neighbors, to change systems that perpetuate injustice and inequality. CHWC stands against racism, hatred, violence, and injustice. CHWC stands for diversity, inclusion, alliance, equity, and justice.
The Home Repair and Improvement manager will be responsible for overseeing and managing all aspects of owner-occupied repair and improvement projects. This includes household qualification, project planning, budgeting, scheduling, quality control, grant management and customer service. This person is also responsible for scope verification and development and loan draw inspections for Community Lending Home Repair Loan funded projects. This person should have a strong knowledge of building science as well as local residential construction codes; be competent in organization, planning, scheduling, trade management, and computer technology; have an eye for detail, be goal driven, be able to work with internal staff, external trade contractors and clients and exhibit initiative in achieving the organizations’s goals.
Further, this person should be committed to treating all customers, particularly those who are experiencing hardship or are in crisis, with dignity, respect, and compassion.
This is a highly responsible position that requires flexibility and a desire to work in a rapidly changing, fast-paced environment. Excellent time management and computer skills are essential. This position will require the use of a personal vehicle and a smartphone or computer on a daily basis.
Primary duties include but are not limited to:
- Manage customer service, including answering customer questions, addressing customer concerns, and ensuring customer satisfaction
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with customers, contractors, and suppliers
- Plan and execute workshops with the families on budget/finance, home maintenance, etc. in partnership with the Housing Counselors.
- Develop and manage project schedules, budgets, and resources
- Manage RFP and bid solicitation and selection for HRI projects
- Hire and supervise contractors, sub-contractors, and staff
- Ensure that all work is completed to the highest standards of quality
- Conduct regular site visits to monitor progress and address any issues
- Work with suppliers and vendors to procure materials and equipment as needed
- Ensure that all safety and regulatory requirements are met
- Prepare and submit progress reports, budgets, and invoices
- Maintain and update CRM files as required to support homeownership service lines.
- Qualify homeowners per grant requirements and ensure all compliance reports are submitted on a timely manner.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Architecture, Engineering, or related field (preferred)
- Proven experience in residential repair and improvement project management
- HUD housing counseling certification or ability and willingness to obtain certification within 180 days of hiring
- Strong Leadership
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to think creatively and problem-solve
- Knowledge of construction techniques, building codes, and safety regulations
- Strong applicants will have a desire to learn and understand how the principles of inclusion, equity and justice apply to CHWC’s work
- Strong applicants will be committed to implementing principles of inclusion, equity, and justice in their day-to-day work as member of CHWC’s team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and project management software. CHWC is moving toward an increasingly cloud based, paperless, mobile environment, so comfort with existing and emerging tech tools is critical.
- Ability to read, write and speak in other languages is a plus.
- This role requires: travel to our properties around Kansas City, Kansas and Wyandotte County and may be physically demanding. The ability to work in confined spaces, indoors and outdoors, in all climates, and unclean environments with fumes, dust and poor ventilation while adhering to company safety requirements and programs. The ability to always perform all duties in a safe manner.
Hours: 40 hours per week. Hours will be flexible and dependent on the needs of the organization, applicable deadlines, homeowners availability and other requirements.
Compensation: Base Salary: $45-$60K DOQ
Benefits: This position is eligible for CHWC’s health, dental, vision and retirement benefits. Plus CHWC’s paid time off and holidays.
Apply: Apply online at https://chwckck.prismhr-hire.com/job/588370/home-repair-and-improvement-manager