Start at Zero’s mission is to partner with parents and caregivers to promote healthy early childhood development. Start at Zero works closely with schools, community organizations, and families of children prenatal to kindergarten entry to deliver programming focused on increasing kindergarten readiness and parent agency. www.startatzero.org
Start at Zero is seeking a bilingual Parent Educator who will be responsible for managing parent education and supports for families of children prenatal to kindergarten entry, implementing a variety of programs that include home visiting, developmental screenings, and more. The Parent Educator will work closely with partnering schools and/or community agencies to connect early childhood family support services to the partner sites. Starting salary for full time 40 hours per week is between $36,000 and $42,000 based on education and experience. This position is eligible for healthcare benefits. This position is planned to begin in August of 2021.
Core Skills & Beliefs
- Deep belief that parents are their child’s most influential teachers;
- Strong commitment to closing the opportunity gap for families across cultural and language divides;
- Innate strengths-based approach when working with children, families, and co-workers;
- Strong relationship-building skills, like effective communication and cultural sensitivity;
- Self-driven, able to function autonomously yet collaboratively, and
- Demonstrate innovative approaches to problem solving.
Qualifications & Competencies
- Previous experience in Parents as Teachers and/or early childhood home visiting (required);
- Bilingual in Spanish and English (required);
- Has a Bachelor’s or higher degree in early childhood education, education, social work, health, human development, psychology, family studies, nursing, or another related field, or equivalent experience;
- Strong familiarity with early childhood development from prenatal to kindergarten entry;
- Ability to work a flexible full time schedule, with evenings or weekends as needed to meet family schedules;
- Handles confidential program and family information with discretion;
- Displays strong organizational and record-keeping skills;
- Proficient in computer skills plus a demonstrated ability to learn new data collection technology platforms;
- Has internet access and ability to work from home as necessary, and
- Holds a valid driver license, has a dependable car and full-coverage auto insurance.
- Market and recruit families to SAZ programs, partnering closely with schools and referring agencies;
- Provide parent education services virtually and in-person in family homes, schools, and/or community locations for families of children age 0-5 using the Parents as Teachers curriculum;
- Facilitate group connection sessions for families of children age 0-5;
- Complete screenings and assessments with families of children age 0-5, with supported referrals to early intervention and follow-up as needed for each family;
- Timely data collection and record keeping;
- Build/sustain relationships with school and community personnel as a Start at Zero representative;
- Cultivate relationships with community organizations to identify and leverage resources for families, and
- Participate in Reflective Supervision and ongoing professional development.
Start at Zero is an equal opportunity employer that welcomes all qualified persons without regards to race, color, sex, disability, national origin, citizenship, age, pregnancy, genetic information, military status, ancestry or any other characteristic or status protected by law.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to Jumesha Wade, PhD, Start at Zero Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.