The mission of the Missouri Institute for Defense and Energy (MIDE) at the University of Missouri – Kansas City (UMKC), is to improve the quality of life by bridging academia with industry to address wicked problems. MIDE is a fast-growing research institute founded to solve real-world problems by synthesizing physics and engineering principles with a pragmatic, results-driven, and collaborative philosophy.
For more information about MIDE, visit www.umkc.edu/mide/.
UMKC is the largest comprehensive, fully accredited university in the Kansas City area and the only public research university in our community. We offer more than 125 academic areas serving more than 16,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students from all 50 states and 85+ countries.
UMKC has a strategic plan with five pillars: provide exceptional student learning, success and experience; become a thriving discovery enterprise; transform our community and region with impactful engagement; foster an environment of invigorating multiculturalism, globalism, diversity and inclusion; and develop a strong and resilient people, process and physical infrastructure. We are building a community in which we support each other, learn from each other, and grow together. The successful candidate will have a genuine enthusiasm for students and the university.
For more information about UMKC, visit www.umkc.edu.
The Missouri institute for Defense and Energy (MIDE) seeks an experienced Senior Electrical Engineer with a background in analog, power design, layout, fabrication, and troubleshooting. The Senior Electrical Engineer role is responsible for leading a small team of technical contributors comprised of faculty, staff, and students to provide value to overarching program efforts. This position also includes participating in internal and external design and status reviews as a subject matter expert for R&D programs.
The ideal team member will demonstrate:
- A passion for solving high-impact, real-world problems
- A direct, pragmatic, problem solving approach for mission-critical applied research
- The ability to operate in agile and dynamic working environments as a core team player and independent individual
- Creativity and versatility in designing, prototyping, and validating pulse power solutions for complex electrical and computational problems
- A curiosity, openness, and willingness to learn new skills, methods, systems, and technologies
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to inform and guide team-members
- Excellent organizational skills to prioritize and execute on both long-term and short parallel assignments
- Design complex analog and power circuit card assemblies to support R&D of integrated systems
- Lead small teams of engineers through best practices, design, fabrication/assembly, integration and troubleshooting activities
- Train new engineers, personnel, and students to utilize simulation, layout, and troubleshooting tools
- Generate system, subsystem, and component requirements
- Identify conflicting requirements between disciplines or use cases and provide recommended compromises
- Provide leadership in identifying project timelines, assignment of project activities, and ability to identify critical path(s), technical challenges, and mitigation strategies
- Identify staff, equipment, technology needs to ensure program success and the costs required to fill the need
- Serve as a leader within MIDE to support the development and execution of the Institute’s mission, vision, and values
- Provide documentation including, but not limited to, technical reports and briefings as required
- Understands the synergistic nature of MIDE research projects and how to integrate with other sub-teams to achieve functional objectives
- Maintain safety, security, and compliance requirements
- Interface with multiple engineering and non-engineering cross-functional team members
- Travel to visit team members, customers, and attend conferences is expected
Assist team members and execute other duties as necessary
- A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field and at least three years of related experience from which comparable knowledge and skills can be required is necessary
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and a strong organizational philosophy to optimize deliverable timelines to sponsors
- Ability to hold and maintain a United States security clearance
- Master’s or PhD degree in Electrical Engineering or related field with a minimum of five years of related experience
- Working knowledge of components and circuits that may include low to high voltage DC to DC conversion, analog filter design, pulse transformer construction, high frequency components, and saturable inductors
- Knowledge of circuit diagrams, simulation, and layout tools to design custom printed circuit cards for low voltage and high voltage applications
- Experience with the processes and quality controls for printed circuit card assemblies utilizing through hole, surface mount, and ball grid arrays in a prototype environment
- Lab experience troubleshooting circuits on Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs) using digital multi-meters, oscilloscopes, and impedance analyzers
- Technical team leadership experience designing complex electronic systems
- Experience working in an academic environment with students, staff, and faculty
Full Time/Part Time
Full time, on-site, Monday–Friday, 8 am – 5 pm or comparable. As a results-orientated organization, MIDE supports flexible schedules. Expect occasional travel for research collaborations, conference attendance, and offsite briefings.
$75,000 – $110,000. Salary to commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity.
UMKC offers a competitive salary, affordable medical and dental plans, 403(b) savings plan, and University paid long-term disability and life insurance benefits. For full benefit details, visit: https://info.umkc.edu/hr/total-rewards/benefits/
Open until filled, review of applications to begin immediately.
Apply online at www.umkc.edu/jobs. Reference position number 78011.